When I was growing up, an avocado sandwich was a quick, healthy fast lunch at home. I learned that from my dad. He was amazing at whipping up the most complicated meals, but when he was in a hurry, dad never stayed hungry. He knew how always to make healthy fast foods. So here I was today trying to figure out what to eat for lunch. Yesterday’s lunch was a Tortilla Española at the Dali Museum. Today it will be my dad’s special, an avocado sandwich.
Avocado & Herb Sandwich
I had picked up a half dozen avocados at Sam’s Club. I’ll be using one. We had never shopped for food at Sam’s until recently. I’m a health food store and farmer’s market type of gal. But Sam’s getting better at bringing healthy, gluten-free and fresh greens. Last week we packed the shopping cart at Sam’s Club with other goods: organic baby kale and masculine greens. Hopefully, they will get more organic produce we can use though I will always buy at the farmer’s market. They are the best!
This sandwich is easy to prepare. All you need for tools are a knife, a fork and a dish. You may toast your bread if you like.
Avocado & Herb Sandwich – The Original Fast Food
- 1/2 avocado
- Basil, tarragon or other herbs from your garden, or left over salad
- Tomatoes, any type and optional
- 2 slices of bread
- Italian Basil pesto or Basil-Almond Pesto (optional) or olive oil
- Mash avocado with a fork.
- Toast bread. Spread toasts with olive oil or presto.
- Spread avocado and layer with herbs and tomato slices.
- Or simply make a mashed avocado and bread sandwich with a pinch of salt.